One of my most quilling-supportive friends requested this one back in December… I finally finished it just yesterday. It’s not that it took me that long to work on it—the whole thing, beginning to end, took about 3 hours—but between moving and other life busyness, it just kept getting put off. The request was for a certain army unit patch to be quilled using a lot of pink and was going to be given to a friend who is retiring from the army (and happens to be female). The emblem on the patch was a huge quilling challenge and I’m not even sure that I beat the challenge very well; I think I got the general likeness to the original patch, but the symmetry issues were never fully resolved. That’s where the “embellishments” came in! The butterfly, flowers, and swirly bits were not originally going to be part of the piece, but I think they furthered the femininity and boosted the pink theme nicely. The final product is about 4″ in diameter and was designed to fit inside an acrylic case that protects the quilling beautifully, but also serves as a coaster or paperweight if the recipient so desires. You might see that there is one little swirly piece that is bent in the photos… I have noticed it and will be sure to repair it before shipping.
The first photo is the original unit patch (sorry, it’s the largest photo I could find), with the quilled versions following: